In 1545, German humanist N. Gerbelius published an accompanying text to the map of Nicolaos Sofianos, also published the mid-16th century). Gerbelius illustrates his texts with views of cities and other locations connected to place names on the map. The first representation of the ancient sanctuary is imaginary, and includes features of a fortified city. Almost two centuries later, the chronicle by G. Wheler (1682), which is but a mediocre copy of J. Spon's work, but highly successful, includes a draft of the area of Delphi, showing the village and some ancient remains. The subjects of the illustrations which accompany this edition of J. Spon 's voyage (1678), which is highly significant for the author's pioneering exploration of ancient sites, are novel and groundbreaking for their time. Most of the pictures are first-ever depictions of archaeological sites and remains.
E. Reisinger (Photo):
R. Pauax (Photo):